Thursday, December 29, 2011

Getting Crafty...

If you haven't checked out Pinterest (www.pinterest.com), you should. Shortly after Zak and I got engaged, I read a wedding blog that stated a Pinterest account was a must-have for any bride-to-be. Naturally, I jumped on the bandwagon, and I have since been borderline obsessed. You'll have to check it out to really understand the nature of it, but basically, it's an on-line cork board that not only allows you to "pin" images that you find on the internet, but you can also cruise around and become incredibly inspired by the brilliant "pins" of others. (It is by no means only a wedding thing either. Looking at it will make you hungry and fashionable and crafty.)

My lovely friend, Kourtnei has also become a big Pinterest fan, and at some point we discovered DIY (Do It Yourself, an abbreviation that I embarrassingly enough had to Google) yarn lanterns. I am looking for ways to inexpensively decorate the Depot, and this seemed fun. Kourtnei is owns glue gun which made her qualified to convince me these lanterns were something we could definitely do, so the week before Christmas, she and I had a yarn lantern craft day.

Armed with the required supplies, a youtube video tutorial, Kourtnei's craft confidence, and my weird extra room, we got started.
Our sweet set-up. Yes, those are balloons, tied to a broom with yarn.

"Goo" making materials.


An action shot...I am running yarn through the very splattery, sticky "goo" while Kourtnei wraps it around the balloons.

It didn't take long to realize this was a very messy job, so Kourt fashioned use these sweet plastic bag smocks.




The goo-soaked yarn is left to dry around the balloons, and when ready...
The balloons get popped, and we are left with these cool lanterns. It was a good first run!


No comments:

Post a Comment