Thursday, December 01, 2011

Making it Official...

Officially boyfriend/girlfriend and loving it.
Zak and I have been together for a little over three years. It's incredible how in a relationship there are so many little milestones that make things "official." We officially became boyfriend and girlfriend a few months after we met. We saw a Ben Kweller show in Seattle and had "the talk" at dinner. At some point after that, I gave him a key to my apartment and after we got back from Hawaii, he officially moved in. A year and a half ago, we moved into this house and officially signed a lease together. A few months after that, I took my cats to the vet and listed Zak as their official co-owner.

Yesterday, I called Comcast to have Zak's name put on the cable account. I am too weak to be the one to call and tell them that we need to drastically reduce the cost of our monthly bill. I already know they'll use their devil trickery on me, and I'll end up adding an additional 6 landlines so we can get free HBO for a week. Our lives are meshed to the point where we "officially" have equal power when it comes to making cable decisions. Maybe it's because I loved living alone and was financially independent for so many years, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about how easy all of the emotional steps have been, and how it is the logistical things, like sharing access to accounts, that make me appreciate the extent of this commitment. I guess what it comes down to is that Zak has both my heart and my DVR in his hands, and I am officially trusting him with both.


2 comments:

  1. I would like to make it official that I am like CRAZY excited for this wedding. I'm also crazy excited for you to lower your cable bill... ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this....like crazy. Ok, seriously, I really do love this chapter in your life and how good it, and Zak, is for you.
    Love, the Matron

    ReplyDelete